Saturday, November 10, 2007

Being Result Oriented

I definitely have a lot to improve. This last session really put things into perspective. I've totally forgotten how it felt to play really long sessions. You could know all the poker concepts but if you don't apply them, you have nothing. Also, after applying them and the long term results are poor, you need to adjust. That's all part of improving.

I don't think I play poorly or anything in the session. I definitely have a lot to improve on and there are many situations where I really wasn't sure what the right play was. If I was given the time to think about it, I definitely could play it very optimally but since I'm kind of rusty, things did not go so smooth.

Either way, what happened in one session or another matters not to me. Winning is nice, but losing isn't terrible either. If you judge your performance based on the results, then you are being results oriented. There will be sessions where I cooler like 10 pots in a row, and I'm up 10bis. Great, but sooner or later, I will probably lose those 10bis when I am on the other side of the cards. As I always say, you need to just make the decisions and everything will fall into place. I've pretty much beat this concept to death already but that's what I want to get into. I'm currently thinking of a mistake I'm making in a more "micro" situation.

During a hand, there'll be situations where you think it's best to stack off given the player's range. Perhaps you are only 5% favorite against his long term range, then you should still get your money in no matter if you are going to lose the next 10 pots in the same 10 situations. But losing 10 pots really sucks, or does it? That's just part of being result oriented. You had made the best decision in that possible time and in a long run, it's a small edge but still the correct play. So a really great player would realize this and not let that shake him whether the results are good or bad.

I feel I'm getting closer to that mentality but it's difficult. Most of the time when I'm being results oriented, I don't even realize it. I make a great play, but it did not work, I start to question if it was a good play to begin with. It's a valid question but it's a question that spawned from the results. On the same scenario if the play had worked, I would have not questioned profitability of my play. I won the pot, didn't I? That is the problem.

I feel a little idiotic to not realize what's going on in my mind. I desire to combat this and really rid myself of being short term result oriented. Concentrate on the decision and nothing else.

1 comment:

Noel said...

"Concentrate on the decision and nothing else." QFT