I've started coaching one individual. And yes, it's for money. I definitely have a lot to offer to this student, and he has a lot to learn. Though we only started for a couple days, I already enjoy his willingness to learn. He's already a pretty solidly sound player, but he has hit a tough wall in his road. I believe a lot of poker players hit walls during their career, but the question is whether they are willing to look for a solution.
There are many reasons why I decided to take a lower stake player. I feel it's much harder to teach someone who has had bad habits already. I'm looking to teach him how to solidly think about the game and how to win against the toughest of opponents. It's going to be a challenge, because it forces me to think about what I had learned and organize it well enough to explain it to someone else.
Another reason for teaching is that it does help me in my own game. I can think even deeper past those fundamentals that I had already mastered and discover more aspects I had overlooked. As a teacher, I have pressure to make sure my student learns from me. Obviously I don't have to care since learning is his own responsibility. But I'm a perfectionist by nature and I cannot see myself half ass something that I started. Also, it really helps to have a student that is open minded and is willing to try a lot of things. He has a lot of potential and I hope to see to it that he will succeed(at least for poker).
And no, I'm not taking any more students until further notice.
Friday, August 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment