For some reason, I have trouble with a certain thought process. Playing this game of 100bb+ BIs, we tend to keep thinking about winning the big stash opponents are currently holding. We want his stack! That's what poker is all about right? But truthfully, sustaining a long term winrate is so far from winning those big stacks. This is because 1.) big hands don't come that often. 2.) cooler hands don't count in a long run.
What is the goal of this game? To win money, of course. Does it matter if it's 1bb or half a bb or 100bb? I mean winning that extra 1bb now nets you 1bb more than you had a second ago. Ya, it would be nice to get that huge stack villain is holding but can anyone really guarantee you will take it? What if you run really really bad and villain just happens to cooler you for every single pot, even though apparently he's the worst player that walks the face of the earth. There is no guarantee, remember that. But that's not my point.
I find myself struggling to be satisfied with the very small pots, even in huge quantities. There are many weak tight players out there that will play fit or fold unfailingly. You will rarely find them get their money in with the worse of it. What can you do against those players? You just need to grind him down, micro pot after micro pot. You are hugely profitable against him, but you will not get his stack anytime soon. But I can guarantee that table will be very "profitable" and I'll sustain a very high winrate. It's almost like someone shipping you 4bb like every 20 hands or so. I wish money would come in that easily, and the problem is that it really does come that easily sometimes but I have trouble mentally following through these types of grinds. As sick as I would hate to admit, I prefer winning stacks and then losing stacks to total net me +4bb than to win 4bb constantly. I guess it's more "exciting" and I'm more used to that type of poker.
But, it's not the best type of poker. As you keep moving up, stack vs stack happens basically more in a cooler basis. Your edge becomes smaller and smaller. If someone was to throw you 1bb every so often, you need to take it and be happy. This is the mentality I need to succeed.
The mentality to see profitability and cease it.
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I couldn't agree more, people need to realize that winrates consist of 1-10 bb per 100 hands and it does make a difference if your the one that keeps taking down the small pots.
In fact in a lot of big pot situations we don't really make money against good players, but almost lose money due to the rake involved.
Post a Comment