Monday, July 2, 2007

Profits from Poker

So how much have I won from playing poker? I think the best answer is "zero", and realistically I'm actually down a couple hundred. This might be a shock to some of you, but I believe that's the best way to see my situation.

I believe the money that acts as your BR should be kept as an investment at all times. If I want to buy something, I am never looking at my BR to pay for it. This is a big no no. Some people might ask me why I keep my job at my restaurant that make marginally what I make from poker. The answer is that I haven't made a cent of profits in poker because all the winnings from the game is going straight back to the BR.

The distinction between your BR and your "profits" should be *clearly* made beforehand. What I mean is, if you decided 4000 is your BR and any extra you make past 4000 is going to be your profits, you need to keep it that way. Never should you ever creep into your BR for extra profits. Without your BR, you cannot make the profits you desire.

This comes back to my original point that I have made "zero" dollars from poker. This is because the thing I've been doing is BR building, so my BR is classified under the untouchables. Without it, I cannot make more money from the game. Essentially your BR is your "tool" in poker, you need it to earn more. As you keep developing that tool(building the BR), you can make more and more. If you think of your BR like that, you will have better success with the game.

This is the tricky part. I seriously do not have a goal how big my BR should be. It always seems like as I keep building my BR up, there is always another limit I want to tackle. It's an endless tunnel that keeps going up and up(I guess until you are sitting next to sbrugby and Phil Ivey). I am not sure what seriously will satisify me, when does BR building stop? Until I reach my limits? Or until I somehow go busto?

This is a dilemma for me. I do have a goal but do I keep BR building until I get there or should I actually make some "profits" from the game? This is always an interesting question to think about. Anyways, I guess I'll leave it that.

3 comments:

Noel said...

Take a look at the article Taylor wrote on building a bankroll I think you might change your mind. You have to take some of that money you have earned through hours of hard work and practice so you have something to show for it man. Just staring at a number on your computer screen isnt enough. I like your dedication and I think you have the drive inside to succeed but aint nothing wrong with withdrawing a few hundred and getting yourself something nice.

HyperAggrDonk said...

I agree with Neb's thinking. Your bankroll should be completely separate. As long as you can afford not to withdraw from your BR, then don't withdraw. This allows your BR to continue to grow. If you take $1k out when u have a $4k roll, then it may take you another month to get back that $1k at 100nl. Whereas if you left it in, your BR can continue to grow, and you can play higher levels with it. That $1k now could cost you a $20k month at 5/10 6 months later.

verneer said...

Cool post!