Friday, July 27, 2007

Stop making big calls

I'm not disliking that I make big calls but it's completely unnecessary. My read is usually on, but I can't do much when villian hit some obnoxious runner runner and he goes overshoving the river. Sure I had him beat before the last card came, but I shouldn't be making these calls on the river. Variance just shoots up, and it's marginal at best. The key is that, if you don't make this particular call, you'll eventually catch an easier situation and bust him anyways. There is a thin line between making great call downs and complete spew. This is not based on results, it's based on long term profitability. Sure this guy shoving 2x the pot on an innocent river looks like he's bluffing, maybe he got a set on the river, can it happen? sure! I'm just starting to dislike the word "call", I feel every time I "call" it's -ev. I think this is good, think twice before "calling".

By the way, if you wonder why I make these posts, I make them to grind something into my head. Today was a great day for me, I haven't had almost 5BI day for like a month now. But this short term result should not affect me wanting to improve and learning to play better. It's definitely easier to keep trying to improve when you are running bad, because it forces you. When you run well, you need to have just as much proactiveness to improve. I need to remember that.

No comments: