Wednesday, March 7, 2007

poorly played TPTK

I've been doing more reviews of my hands. And I spotted most definitely the biggest leak of them all. I've been felting TPTK way too often against villians that beat my hand way too often. I need to have better read on villians before making such a play. I notice how few times I actually won a stack with my TPTK after I saw the flop. Very few actually pay me off with TPGK type hands. The times I've been stacking people with hands like AK, I actually have 2P+. This is a huge leak in my game I believe. Some villians will basically go all in with TPGK while I have TPTK, but this is rare enough that more often or not, I NEED to lay those hands down.

Even though if I am folding them to a bluff or whatever, I think in a long run, I'll see improvements on my winrates. Overall, I think I need more experience handling TPTK.

3 comments:

Malfaire said...

Neb -- just found your blog; I always like reading your posts on CR so I'm looking forward to digging through and reading this more fully.

Good exercise to point out. I feel that a lot of players say that people will pay you off at low stakes online -- I think this is a half truth as poker exists today. I think there's a dichotomy of players at these levels right now -- one group being the medium to shortstack players who will do this; the other group being the ones who will not. Likely this is a leak of mine as well.

Can I ask how you quickly sliced apart your db to get this info without looking at every single hand in the One Pair section? I'm going to link you up on my blog if that's cool.

Neb said...

hehe.. by all means, it wasn't quick to dig this out. I was really looking thoroughly into each catagories of hands(PPs, SC, AJ+, broadway hands). I notice AK specifically was doing quick horribly even against my AQ, AJ hands. I play AQ, and AJ more cautiously than AK for most part.

Then I started looking at the stack vs stack confrontations one by one, I realize that large majority of my full stack vs full stack confrontations were won when I had better than TPTK. While large majority of the ones I lost(again full stack confrontations) were ones I had only TPTK which I pushed either on the flop or the turn.

I guess this is not really a surprise. I feel overtime, I'm just a big fish against set miners. While apparently what makes my TPTK profitable was that when I am ahead, I get a lot of value from them, the difference is that I rarely get their entire stack.

So in conclusion, I have 2 answers for this problem. 1.) Start overvaluing TPTK when the villian seems somewhat committed(passive, check/call mode). So I will get them to incorrectly call a push with a dominated hand. Of course the downside is that I will pay off a hand I am way behind very often. 2.) Start playing "poker" with those 1P type hands and lay them down against certain villians(low aggression, nitty, etc..) The downside is I might incorrectly lay down the best hand against a non-made hand.

I believe in a long run, #2 is smarter. Currently, the losses I've been taking are almost outweighting the gains. In time, I'll see better results with my winrate, and lower down my variance quite a bit.

Neb said...

and ya, sure.. leave me your blog, I'll surely read it.. and thanks for your complements.