Friday, April 6, 2007

Deception is the key?

Tonight, I actually ended up having a winning session. Small winning session but a winning session nevertheless. I've been adding more deception into my play and instead of putting money first in a lot, I've been doing more c/r and raises. I feel every time I put money in the pot, someone with a draw or whatever just will decide to raise which puts me in a tough decision. Obviously with TP or whatever, I call, but I really don't know where I stand with the hand. Any scare card puts me on the spot and it's almost impossible to correctly guess without a dead on read.

Also, I do notice people in 100nl are actually thinking more on the 2nd level. So I think I need to be more in tune with what they think I hold. I've been getting a lot of success getting paid off just applying very basic deception when I have a huge hand. I want them to be the one making the mistakes. Since I feel the majority of the players just have such a high aggression factor, you can almost guaranteed if you have a good hand, they'll pay you a bit. I think this way, I am much harder to predict as a player and maybe that was why I was running bad lately. I was seriously not winning any medium sized pots because it usually gets folded on a turn bet. I also started applying more 2nd barreling with air, so many donks just call the flop lightly. You almost just have to fire twice to know what hand they really hold. It's just so common for them to call and float you. So I started making that line with actual hands and c/r or c/c them.

Another note is that I should stop playing such an ABC game because it's too predicable and it's hard to get paid off. I do notice I'm improving in my preflop game. I 3bet very lightly pretty often and I'm sure it's a huge part of my winrates. 100nl is definitely a refreshing challenge. My only real concern is that I'm sitting on marginal sized BR. I'm probably going to drop down once I lose another 5 BIs or so and rebuild.

No comments: