Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Interesting hand

I don't have much read on this player but how I decided to play this was interesting I thought. And it worked out well in the end.


Villian seems like a fish to semi-decent player.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

UTG ($13.25)
Hero ($31.65)
Button ($27.60)
SB ($24.75)
BB ($29.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Kc, Kd.
1 fold, Hero raises to $1, 1 fold, SB raises to $3.2, 1 fold, Hero calls $2.20.

When he reraised me, I was thinking if I should reraise him again. But I figured if he didn't have a great hand, I was giving him a good opportunity to escape. And the main reason I decided not to is because of position. I have position on him, I can always escape if he seems like he has me beat. But this hand is too difficult unless an Ace comes on the board. I probably put him on AK, QQ, or AQ here.

Flop: ($6.65) 3d, 2h, Ac (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

Not a good flop for me, I didn't want to get trapped with my vulnerable hand and get stuck in a bad situation, so I checked behind. If he has AK, he could be check/raising me. I wasn't going to give up this pot too easily though.

Turn: ($6.65) Ks (2 players)
SB bets $4, Hero calls $4.

Bingo card! Now I'm only behind to AA, AK would give me a lot of action if he has that. I still wasn't too convinced he had a great hand and I looked at the stack sizes. It wasn't too much of an overbet if I shove on the river after this bet. I decided to slow play this, probably repping a weaker PP.

River: ($14.65) 8s (2 players)
SB bets $17.55 (All-In), Hero calls $17.55.

He shoves on me, I had no doubt in my mind I was going to call him. Only card I would consider folding is if an Ace comes on the board. Even a 3flush board, I'm willing to risk my stack. He is reping he has either a set or AK. Only AA beats me here. Easy call.

Final Pot: $49.75

Results below:
SB has 5c 5d (one pair, fives).
Hero has Kc Kd (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins $49.75.


I induced a huge bluff by him. I think these low stakes, people make a lot of bluffs when the pot is huge. I just never really have the cards to call them down. Also one thing a lot of pros keep stressing is a lot of mistakes are made in raised pots. But I say, people make a lot more mistakes on a 3bet PF pots because by the time you get to the turn, the pot is already big enough for a shove. Honestly I make a lot of mistakes in these pots also. This is something I should watch out when the pot is huge.

No comments: