Friday, January 12, 2007

Solid session, down 1

I played pretty solid tonight. Other than 1 big mistake I made early in the session(the HH is here on this post), I think I played pretty solid. This is a good sign, if I can learn from these mistakes quicker, the more I become more profitable. I'm glad I'm making them. Hopefully I don't make the same mistakes in the future.


I think I played this correctly, but fold equity is probably very low against this villian. I think I played this as well as I could have. Villian is pretty aggressive and splashed around a lot on the table. I've been pretty tight.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

Hero ($24.90)
SB ($27.50)
BB ($6.65)
UTG ($129.95)
MP ($25)
CO ($60.55)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Ks, Ah.
UTG raises to $0.5, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.5, 2 folds, UTG calls $1.

Flop: ($3.35) Kh, 2h, Qh (2 players)
UTG bets $2, Hero raises to $6, UTG calls $4.

Turn: ($15.35) 3s (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $17.4 (All-In), UTG calls $17.40.

River: ($50.15) Kd (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $50.15

Results below:
UTG has 2c Kc (full house, kings full of twos).
Hero has Ks Ah (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: UTG wins $50.15.

Result isn't what I perferred, I just wanted him to fold on the turn but if he didn't, I would still have a lot of outs. River card is the worst card in the deck against this hand. Oh well, I still like the play.



This particular hand I made a huge mistake. I tend to make this mistake a lot, and it really costs me a lot of $ in a long run. I would consider it a leak.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

Button ($25.50)
SB ($10.65)
BB ($45.75)
UTG ($24.30)
Hero ($25)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Qc, Td.
1 fold, Hero raises to $1, 2 folds, BB calls $0.75.

Raising it up on the CO spot.

Flop: ($2.10) 5c, Jh, Qs (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.5, BB raises to $5, Hero calls $3.50.

I flopped top pair, not bad but got reraised. Instantly, I have to put him on AQ, KQ, JQ or 55.

Turn: ($12.10) Th (2 players)
BB bets $39.75 (All-In), Hero calls $19 (All-In).

This is where the mistake happens. I was thinking through the hand. I do have pretty decent hand here. I beat AQ, KQ and a weird Q5. The villian has very high VPIP, which is why I really wanted to look him up. But I thought about what hands would reraise me on the flop. And what hand would shove here. AQ might shove sometimes, but doubtful. So only hands that shove is QT+. Making this call was obviously a mistake on my part.

River: ($70.85) 7d (2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $70.85

Results below:
BB has Jc Qd (two pair, queens and jacks).
Hero has Qc Td (two pair, queens and tens).
Outcome: BB wins $70.85.


As expected, he had JQ. I'm getting much better at hand reading but I still make poor decisions sometimes. These days, it's encouraging that I guess villian's hands correctly. It happens much more often now.

The players that give me the most trouble are the ones that are super loose and super lucky. You can't really read them because of their random nature. I need to be able to deal with these villians. I need to develop a better strategy against them. Oh yea, another problem I seem to have is playing decent short stacks. It's hard to identify which shortstacks are decent and which isn't. I give them very little respect, and I think I lose a bit to them. I think this is okay in a long run, but I should pay more attention to shortstacks.

No comments: