Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Something I read on the CR forums

"As long as it doesn't tilt your game then there is no reason to quit playing. A good thing to focus on (if you can) is to ask yourself whether you played the hand correctly. If the answer is yes then you have nothing to worry about, you got the money in good and the rest was determined by the poker Gods. Once you are able to see poker purely as a series of correct decisions to be made and can ignore the financial implications when it goes wrong it will help your progress at the tables.

I for one nearly always leave a table where I just got a horrible beat. Not because i can no longer play well because i don't tilt much but through experience I know that I NEVER EVER run well on a table where I get stacked to a long shot. I have stayed at the same table for hundreds of extra hands and usually end up a buyin or 2 down in adition to the beat I took. Dont know why this is but now I usually change tables within an orbit of a sick beat. "

-Road2ruin



Though this is not exactly an original idea, nor is it the first time I heard it, I really need to keep this to heart. Some bad beats do affect me, but some just slides right off. I probably should stop worrying about how much I'm up and down and just make correct decisions. I have to admit I make that mistake. Back a month or two ago, I wouldn't understand why people advice you not to look at your bankroll during a session. Some people actually go on days of session without looking, this is definitely for psychological reasons. I'm starting to grasp this concept. A month ago, I would look at my bankroll almost every 15 minutes to see where I'm at, now I mostly look at the end of each session. I already know the difference this made, again psychologically.

No comments: