Tuesday, May 15, 2007

TAG vs LAG

I got frustrated today(semi tilt) and really hated how I never get paid off because I was playing so straight forward and tight. So I decided to just go crazy, like 23/19/4 at the end of the session. I no longer worried if my TPTK is bad because with my image, I had to felt that hand every time. People were getting frustrated with me, and honestly I really wasn't playing all that crazy. I just 3bet a ton more and raise a ton of marginal hands in LP. This is the style I played in very tight games, and I haven't done it since 25nl honestly. But it's amazing how people just pay you off and call with marginal hands. I felt my image on each table changing from "tight" to "crazy loose". I didn't let anybody limp on my blinds, I don't care what hand I have, I'm raising that shit up. I 3bet a lot of LP raiser trying to steal. And in LP position, I'm raising probably 25% of hands. As I saw my image went to shit, I pitched a lot of marginal hands and played like a nit. People just don't believe that I got a good hand, and of course they pay me off.

This style has never been this effective in 25nl. I can feel the table dynamics changing and people were 3betting me light with hands that they wouldn't before. Pretty crazy stuff. But I have to admit, it is not an easy style. You need to make a lot of marginal calls. So your swings are going to uphill but people are definitely much more willing to pay you off when you got the goods.

I mean I'm not going to pitch my TAG style, but in certain tables I am definitely going to open up a lot. If the table is full of maniacs, playing LAG is going to kill you. You are going to need to selective and choose your style wisely. I have to honestly say I never pushed my LAG style as loose as I did today, I was certainly spewing on some hands but once people gave me absolutely no credit, I tightened up like a nit. I probably swing 3BIs back and forth a lot, but still came out with a decent winrate. I did get suck out a couple times, and lost most races. So I can't complain about the results.

No comments: